Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!
Katallos recently said goodbye to D&D on his blog and made mention of the decision to move over to the Pathfinder RPG. While we've already selected the Pathfinder RPG as our game system of choice and kicked off a campaign, I just can't help applauding the post. In the midst of so many alternative systems, retro clones and a plethora of old school blogs (which I have nothing against) it's good to see a like-minded "fellow traveler" come to the same conclusions.

I feel like saying goodbye to D&D today too and so think I will. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish! Ah, that feels so right.

The desire to say so long also comes from the news that Wizards of the Coast is planning to squeeze out yet another abominous whelp: a carded version of Gamma World. While I never played the game and could care less, it just reeks of the same unloving, scumbag capitalist gluttony we've come to expect from the company that holds so much beloved intellectual property, such as the Avalon Hill games it'll never release.

So, when I say "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!" I really mean it in the classic Douglas Adams way too: we've tried to warn you, but now the Earth is being destroyed and well, we gotta go, but thanks for feeding us for a while.

3 comments:

Kael Hunt said...

Despite my preference for the new Pathfinder game vs. 4E, I have to acknowledge that without D&D, I wouldn't have my dice addiction. If I didn't have my dice addiction, I would never have knitted any dice bags, and then where would we be?

AWizardInDallas said...

We'd still have plenty of dice and bags because we would've been playing [i]something[/i], even if it weren't D&D. :)

Kael Hunt said...

Perhaps, but we don't talk about [i]those[/i] games in public, dear ;-)