Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hand-Drawn Heraldry

Long before the computer came along I drew many things for my campaigns on real actual paper. I've already posted some of my old pencil maps but I'd forgotten about these: four sheets of full color heraldic devices. I designed a template sheet based on the Greyhawk model and went to down designing and coloring. Even by today's standards I think they came out pretty good.

The first sheet details the religious orders from my former game world. The second sheet of coats are for the capital city and all the towns in my "Kingdom of Eruun" region, the third is for my "Black Empire" region and the last for the capital city and major dwarven clans in my "Kingdom of Braelund" region.

This was how I spent my spare time in high school and I thought I'd share with you all. Feedback welcome.
Heraldry

P.S. I know I broke all the rules of heraldry but didn't really care all that much at the time. :)

5 comments:

Kael Hunt said...

Comic Sans! Mu-wah! Heheh seriously you have a much steadier hand than I: I've always been impressed by your writing and drawing skills :-)

AWizardInDallas said...

Yeah but when it comes to paint you far excel my talents. I've always been intimidated by layering and the imprecision of water colors. :)

katallos said...

I enjoy the improved organization that using a computer can provide, but sometimes I find myself spending more time fighting with the program than actually working on content for my games. I also find that actually writing notes down on real paper makes the game that much more "real" and immersive as opposed to something that exists solely in digital format.

AWizardInDallas said...

I agree. I'm a Campaign Cartographer 2/3 user but sometimes I can't help but whip out a piece of graph paper and start with the concept there instead. I fight with CC3 quite a bit.

I also still can't resist the allure of scribbling on 3x5 cards.

My wife and I both enjoy us some office supplies too. :)

Kael Hunt said...

It's an odd connection, but I have the same issues with writing knitting patterns (maybe you've seen my blog). It's just far less intrusive to my thought processes to scribble on a piece of paper than to try to construct a pattern or whatever on a program that isn't built to do what I'm doing, in the way and order that I'm doing it (and let's face it: there are no "mad knitter" programs out there).

Thus, my excuse for note cards and little notebooks is that they keep my train of thought from getting derailed by very technology that's supposed to make things easier.